Do You Need Simple, Decent, and Affordable Housing?
Ulster County Habitat for Humanity exists to provide partner families with exactly that. Our partner families live in new or renovated homes, with affordable mortgages, for which their “sweat equity” provided part of the down payment. Our mission is to improve living conditions and ease financial burdens for qualifying partner families.
The following are some of the criteria to be eligible for our home ownership program. Please call our office if you have any questions.
- Income: You need a steady income to meet your mortgage payments as well as provide for utilities (heat, electric, water, refuse, etc.), home owners insurance, taxes and necessary maintenance. We serve families whose combined gross annual income falls between 40-60% of the Annual Median Income for Ulster County.
- Need: You need to currently live in housing which is substandard or a severe cost burden. This could mean overcrowding or unsafe conditions, inadequate heat or sanitary conditions, or severe structural problems. It could also mean that more than 30% of your income goes to housing. In this case, you might qualify even if your current housing is not considered substandard.
- Sweat Equity: You and your family and friends are willing to invest at least 300 hours of “sweat equity” in Habitat projects. A minimum of 150 hours of this must be on Habitat construction projects.
- Residency: You have to have been a resident of or be employed in Ulster County for at least 1 year.
- Credit: If you meet the above qualifications for partnership, we will refer you to a local lender to make an application for an affordable mortgage, where they will do a credit check to determine mortgage readiness.
If you think that you are a candidate for Habitat Partnership, and would like to receive an application, please call or the Affiliate office and we will send you an application.
Thank you for your interest,
Melissa L. Banks, Family Services Coordinator
Phone: (845) 340-0907 x105